Monday, February 14, 2011

Missing my wise friend


Funny to think of someone in the later stages of Alzheimer's wise, I suppose. But then, what do you think of when you think of a wise person? It's probably not someone who talks incessantly about themselves, or adds comments constantly, or interrupts you. To me, the image of a wise person is someone who listens well, someone who is quiet, pays attention, stops you only for necessary clarification, and inevitably leads you to the answer through your own thought process, not theirs. Hmm, see, I would say I just described Vera.When my children were little, she became my sounding board. For years before that, my own grandmother had been my sounding board, but around the time that I met Vera, my grandfather had recently died, and my grandmother had become a shadow of her former self, no longer someone I could burden with big decisions or problems. Vera was an easy replacement because she listened just as well as my grandmother and I felt instantly comfortable talking to her. But what happens when both people who would listen unjudgementally leave your life for good? Well, you are left with a void. There are days I feel it keenly, days I would do anything to have a few minutes with Vera or my grandma to talk an idea or a problem out. I wonder if it supposed to be a natural progression into adulthood not to have that older, wiser person to look to. But still, life gets much more complicated at this point, so I doubt that. So, I wait, holding my breath, till I find someone who will step into the role of wise old friend. Till then, I think I'll flounder a bit longer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Tea with Vera Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice