Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Joys of the Dentist


I am sitting at my computer, glad my trip to the dentist is done. I hate getting cavities filled. I can sit through a general cleaning, but beyond that I'm not a fan of the dental chair.

 It actually went surprisingly well today, and as I was thinking about this on the way home, I started thinking about all of the trips Vera and I made to her dentist. To be honest, I loved those days. Vera lived by the lake in Burlington, and the dentist is in Waterdown.  So, we had a lovely ride to and from the dentist that would take us about 20 minutes each way. There was a particular strip of road that every time we drove on it, Vera would recall memories of her father taking them for drives in the country. She would reminisce about these days, each time revealing just maybe a tiny bit more about her past to me.

 I will say that the dental visit was part of the road trip I'm sure both of us would like to gloss over - and it was one of the few times Vera's failing memory was a wonderful asset for her. What we did walk away talking about each time we went to the dentist was how important moments with your family are. It is surprising how they lurk in your deepest darkest memory for years to come. It would always remind me how important it is to spend time with my own kids, and try to be less busy, focusing instead on enjoying them as they grow. Fun thoughts I'm sure all stemming from a cavity!

1 comments:

kate on January 24, 2011 at 10:24 AM said...

In the end it is the little things that we seem to remember. I took our grandson to school in the freezing cold today and as I held his hand walking into the playground I suddenly remembered being six myself. I loved the cold winter because it meant lots and lots of snow to play in and forts to build. And yep, there in the middle of the playground stood a fort. Fond memories of old school friends and a place that I had long forgotten swirled in my head on this cold January morning. Thanks for the reminder Becky.

Post a Comment

 

Tea with Vera Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice