Tuesday, January 4, 2011

a simple love story


I live on a little street that I have grown to love. We walk the next door neighbours dog. The family around the corner goes to the same church as us. There's a little culdasac off our small street where the annual Canada day party is thrown every year for the block. I can't imagine moving - even though at times our house seems way too tiny for our growning family.

One family routinely opens their house to neighbourhood gatherings, and a couple days ago my husband and I went there to have some very yummy Dutch donuts. (I'd spell it, but i think I'd have a ton of Dutch friends rolling their eyes at my atrocious spelling!!) While I was sitting enjoying the treat, I found myself talking to the oldest resident on our street. Since we've lived here, we've watched his wife pass away, and his general decline. It's very sad. It seems like he needs more help than he is getting, but after talking to him, I realized his decision to stay in his house is somewhat of a love story. He and his wife moved into this house many, many years ago. She loved it - it is higher up on a hill and overlooks the street a bit. He hated it - it has no garage, no fireplace, and not much of a backyard. But, he bought the house for his wife. Now that his wife is gone, he can't imagine moving from the house. It is way too much work for him, and he does need more care than what family and government assisted programs offer. But, to a man with a failing memory, his deepest, strongest memories of life are what he holds onto right now. Of course its sad watching from our perspective, but there's something sweet about the way he talks about it too.

1 comments:

Mike on January 8, 2011 at 6:20 AM said...

This is a lovely post, Becky, and a lovely tribute to your neighbours.

Post a Comment

 

Tea with Vera Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice