Friday, November 26, 2010

From Ice Cream Parlours to Status updates!


So today I've planted myself in a coffee shop and forcing myself to read all about podcasting. Ahh, for a non-techy, this is a bit torturous! I have very little clue what I'm doing, but that's not going to stop me! In the new year check back in to see a new segment on Tea with Vera!! I hope to make Tea with Vera a bit of a destination place - you'll see!!

Well, I have to admit, I'm not getting through this book too fast, in fact, it's way more exciting people watching! In particular, I have the sweetest old friends a couple chairs away from me chatting away about life. Both are well into their senior years. The first part of their conversation was about the coffee shop reno. Now, anyone that knows me and my coffee shop knows that it was a horrible reno. Where is my old coffee shop with the comfy chairs, the quite corners and the warm colours? Instead, they've put in uncomfortable chairs, ridiculously tiny tables that are way too high for little kids, and these dinning room tables that I assume are for laptop users, but really, just make life a bit awkward. Well, the first lady sits down and says "oh, these remind me of ice cream parlour chairs!" I laughed picturing her as a little girl with a cherry cola and saddle shoes. Then after a bit more discussion her friend starts telling her all about her ear surgery. In the middle of the tale, she stops and says "oh, but maybe you read my facebook post!!" Seriously!! From ice cream parlours to Facebook posts in a life time, and they are totally keeping up. That is what completely impresses me about this generation of seniors. Alot of people over 65 are fully embracing all the constant new and evolving technology, and keeping up, and understanding the value of it for their own lives. I remember a decade ago sitting with my grandma and watching her be so lonely in her own home because she couldn't drive and was living on her own. I can't imagine how much better life would have been for her if she could have logged onto Facebook and checked in on her family and sent notes to everyone. Looking at floor plans for new seniors homes, so many designate a large space for a computer room, realizing they are in fact encouraging a social network to exist for many of the seniors that may feel isolated otherwise. I wonder if the creators of Facebook realized the amazing impact they would have on seniors!

2 comments:

CJM on December 8, 2010 at 6:42 PM said...

Hey Becky! I haven't visited in a while, so I've been enjoying catching up on your blog updates. Love the idea of Facebook connecting seniors to their families and friends. How awesome is that? C.

Melanie on September 1, 2011 at 6:02 AM said...

I worry terribly when people talk of the end of Facebook and I fear endless jumping from program to program, just as you settle then those you want to be in touch with are lost. I communicate more often with my 24 yo niece in Germany than I ever did when she was younger and here in Australia with me. I just logged my Mum onto Facebook so she could keep touch and see photos of the 6 of 7 grandchildren not close by. Bravo social networking. Love your blog.

Post a Comment

 

Tea with Vera Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice