Friday, November 5, 2010

Educating your kids about Alzheimer's


This blog was named after a dear friend of mine, Vera. We spent many years together, as I worked as her companion while she struggled with Alzheimer's. She was a wonderful woman, with a very kind soul. Often, I would bring my little kids to see her. One of my favorite memories of Vera was having breakfast with her and my kids. The seniors home she lived in would make sure the private dinning room was dress up specially for us when they knew we were having one of our family breakfasts. My daughters never knew life without Vera, so for them, she really was like an adopted grandmother. They would chat away with her and hold her hand while we walked down the hall together. What was incredible about the relationship that grew between them was that they grew up respecting Vera and loving her for who she was, no matter how the illness affected her. As a mom, I have to say, I was inspired by how loving and kind my kids were - they could teach many an adult a lesson in compassion.

As I was working away today I stumbled upon an excellent idea that the Halton Alzheimer's society has come up with - a half day program for kids on how to deal with family members suffering from the disease. What a great idea! The program is being offered on the next pd day - Nov.13th. I would highly recommend sending your kids if they are around someone with Alzheimer's. I know from experience there are many questions kids will have, and at times, answers can be a challenge. Check out their brochure:
http://www.alzhn.ca/documents/Education%20Events%20and%20Series/Hamilton%20Halton/kids%20learning%20about%20memory%20loss.pdf

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Tea with Vera Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice