Monday, June 21, 2010

How this blog was born



Remember when you were little and would dream about what you wanted to be when you grew up? Well, I always dreamt I would be a famous author. Now, this is only because I read Anne of Green Gables and Emily of New Moon about 100 times each and romanticized about sitting in the attic, writing beautiful stories, while peering wistfully into the dusk. Reality hit in high school when I realized I was not that talented in the writing department! Still, every time I have one of those Emily moments and read the book over again, I get lost in the dream of it all over again!

I remember sitting in the car last year, driving on vacation, just a couple weeks after Vera had passed away, and letting my mind ramble over all the memories I had of Vera. We spent all this time together, and what do you do when the person you built your life around is gone? I was staring out the window, looking at the hills we were driving by, thinking I should sit down and string all the memories together somehow. But, the more I thought of my time with Vera, I realized my memories of her were all jumbled around, and would resurface at the oddest times, being triggered by many different things. I tried to organize her life and what it had meant to me in a straightforward format, but couldn't. What I realized was that from this point onwards in my life, many moments would be connected to Vera, and pop up unexpectedly. She had entwined her life in mine so quietly and subtly, I wasn't sure where it all stopped and started.

So, therefore, I have created this blog. As life unravels, and I am reminded of my dear friend over and over in many ways, I will continue to pay tribute to her through this blog. So, I may never be Emily, scribbling notes up in the garet, but I am hoping that I can create something beautiful, and that is all that matters to me.

3 comments:

Laural Dawn on June 22, 2010 at 5:29 AM said...

I think you sell yourself short in the writing category :)
You're a great writer. All you need is an attic to write in, and an amazing sister to edit and spell check your work!
(well, you can check one of those off your list!)
Funny because I read the Emily series also and it really never inspired me to be a writer. And yet here I am.

PS that wasn't a hint that you need to fix your spelling in this post!

CJM on June 22, 2010 at 4:18 PM said...

Great post. Now I really want to read Emily of New Moon...

Colleen on August 13, 2010 at 9:50 AM said...

It was an honour and a privilege to have you become part of Vera's life and our family - the 6th daughter.

Post a Comment

 

Tea with Vera Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice