Sunday, June 13, 2010

A quilt for Kyla




Finally, I have started to sew this quilt for my daughter! It has been on the back burner for a long time - about a year now. Funny how life goes. I love sewing, but sometimes in the business of life find it hard to make time for. My favorite way to spend a Sunday evening is hauling my sewing machine to the living room and watching TV and sewing late into the night - with a cup of coffee keeping me going.
When I got to know Vera, one of the stories she'd tell me over and over again was about her grandmother who taught her how to sew. Her grandmother was a wonderful sewer, and passed along her passion to Vera. Over and over again I would hear the stories about how her grandmother taught her how to sew from a very young age. I plan to do the same with Kyla. I am extremely proud of her for picking all the fabric patterns that are in this quilt. Little does she know that this year will be the year she gets her very first sewing machine and our first lessons will be very basic quilt making. If you follow along this summer I'll post our adventures in sewing! I have to say my sewing has been learning on the run, so I'm kind of excited to go back to basics with her and teach her the fun of sewing and quilting. She already has a keen sense of colour, so who knows where this will take us!

2 comments:

Kerry Johnson on June 15, 2010 at 6:55 PM said...

I know that it's all in pieces there - but it's still gorgeous! Miss Kyla is one lucky girl!

CJM on June 22, 2010 at 4:22 PM said...

Love the colours - such a beautiful project for you and Kyla!

Post a Comment

 

Tea with Vera Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice