Tuesday, June 8, 2010




When Vera and I first met, I was nervous - how do you carry on a conversation with someone with Alzheimers? I knew nothing about her - other than a very small bit about her family. I didn't know her likes or dislikes, her hobbies - really I was completely in the dark, except I knew she loved Scrabble. I'm sure the poor woman wondered what hit her the first day we met, because out of shear nervousness, I nattered on all about myself for the entire tea time. Now, Vera was a very elegant woman who could have had tea with the queen of Englad with ease, so she smiled serenely and listened somewhat. By the second or third visit, I had settled down and was more at ease, and figured I should listen to her. What I realized is that I had been terribly misguided in my general understanding of Alheimers. Although Vera may not have been able to remember my name week to week, she had a vast store of memories of her past that had yet to be ravaged by disease. In those early years with Vera, I was to learn all about her family, stories of her grandmother, her brothers, trips to the cottage, stories of motherhood, of religion- so many interesting tidbits for tea time. I have to say though, it was her love of knitting and sewing that caught my attention. I love to sew and embroider, and it became the jumping off point for many conversations.




As I sit today, with many things on the to do list piling up, since its June, the end of school, and inevitably the month most moms are scared off, i can't take my eye off a pattern I recently found. It's by Simplicity. They've reintroduced a line of vintage patterns, which i was thrilled to find the other day. I gave in and bought one - a pattern for making little baby shoes. Vera was a wonderful knitter and would whip up baby blankets for all the newest members of the clan. I can't knit (yet!) but have been searching for something special and different to give to friends and family when a new baby is born. I think I've found it! These little booties are completely adorable, and since I've become a little addicted to embroidery lately, I was thrilled to see how unique they look. Each one can be so different and special. Hopefully soon you'll be able to see a completed pair - i have a friend in mind for whom i believe i still have about 3 months to get my act together and make a pair!

1 comments:

Laural Dawn on June 12, 2010 at 8:07 PM said...

Glad I found your blog ... :)
I know Vera was a huge part of your life, and I can't wait to hear more about her. I feel like I knew of her, but I never knew her. So, I can't wait to read along.
Congrats on FINALLY starting a blog!

Post a Comment

 

Tea with Vera Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice